Monday, August 6, 2012

Ear Tubes...

This morning we had our first visit with an ENT.  Children with a cleft palate usually work closely with an ENT until their palate is completely closed and secure because it is impossible to keep fluids out of the ears while there are still holes in the palate, and when this is left untreated, hearing loss occurs.  Hannah received ear tubes at some point in China, but by the time we got home, they were out of the ear drum not doing her a bit of good! So, off to the ENT we go!  He confirmed that the ear tubes she has are worthless and did some testing.  Unfortunately, Hannah already has fluid buildup in her ears again and is having some hearing loss because of the fluid. :(  Usually, the ENT will wait until the child is already under anesthesia for a lip or palate surgery and jump in to do ear tubes at the same time, but Hannah's next lip surgery isn't until January and the doctor does not think it is wise to wait that long.  In order to avoid possible permanent hearing loss, Hannah will have ear tube surgery next Tuesday, August 14.  It should be short and easy, but it is surgery with anesthesia, which is always a bit scary!

The good news is that Hannah did better today with the doctors and did great with the hearing test - even cheering after each part was done!  She didn't cry in  her car seat until we had already been in the car for almost 30 minutes, too - a HUGE improvement!  At the end of our visit, the kids all got helium balloons.  Hannah wasn't so sure what to think of this magical floating balloon at first, but she quickly figured out that pounding on it was great fun! I quickly found out that tying it to her wrist is a big mistake, too... :)  Here's a picture of Hannah on the way home, sound asleep in her car seat, but still holding onto her balloon!


This past weekend, we also got to meet new baby Jack! I was shocked that although both Drew and Hannah get jealous of each other in my lap, neither cared that I was holding a newborn! I think it is funny how they are both blurs in the picture - so true to life! They never slow down!


And, no big surprise here, Hannah loved wearing a necklace to church on Sunday! There is a matching bracelet, but it was too big, so I put it around her ankle.  She LOVED that! She admired her jewelry all day long!  Jerry tried to snap a picture, but the lighting was horrible and we were running late (also no surprise) so it isn't the best - but Hannah is cute anyway!



5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh! I love that she likes to dress up! I'm happy for you that you have a girly girl! Ana is like that and is always twirling and saying "Look at my pretty shoes!". It's so much fun.

I feel sad for her that she has to go through all these medical procedures, but it sure is awesome to hear about what a strong little girl she is. Do you know how long this will go on? Will they be able to actually fix her lip and ears or will she always have issues?

Fairy Juliet said...

I just found your site through google.Thanks for sharing a beautiful and high quality information..Hannah is good now thats waesome..God bless her..I am watching Entertainment news . Its interesting ..

Unknown said...

Hi,she is very cute baby i have read your whole blog,its very amazing,i am impressed.i have bookmark your site for revisit.if ever you need lapel pins then please Contact Here .Thanx dear.

Unknown said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this blog. I am hoping to see the same high-grade blog posts from you in the future as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own blog now; )

ps3 jailbreak 4.41

Unknown said...

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I've really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. I'm
hoping you write again very soon!Good luck for the next!
Just visit my webpage
Cheap Youtube Likes