Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thursday's Thoughts. AH HA! That's IT!!!

Let’s see. What can I say that is worth wasting your time over.


We had Thanksgiving at my house last Wednesday evening. I brined (is that a real word?) the turkey, made dressing instead of stuffing, and completed the feast with cranberry jalapeno sauce, pecan pie, cherry pie and lemon meringue pie. Mom made mashed potatoes and Grandma made a pumpkin pie. I know it was a success because I just at some leftovers last night for dinner and the turkey is still juicy. Also, my dad said that is possibly the best Thanksgiving meal he’s ever had. Now that there is quite a compliment.

Thanksgiving dinner...with half of us not there yet.
Speaking of Thanksgiving, I am reminded every year about this time how incredibly blessed I am…we are. Our fridge and pantry are brimming with food, we have enough money to pay our mortgage and buy electricity and clothe the kids and still there is some left over to waste frivolously. I am trying to become more frugal and mindful of the gifts that God has given me.
We took a family photo. From top to bottom, left to right that's me, Del, Isaac, Mom, Dad, my mom's dad (Gramps), Anna, my dad's mom (GG), Lily, Rachel, Sarah and Ella.

I’m sewing like a banshee. I am making purses and wallets and shopping bags and balls and crayon rolls and stockings and…am I ever grateful that we’ve taken a break from school for six weeks. During this time of holiday excitement, I am happy to have the freedom to work in the sewing room as I need and not have to worry that I’m getting behind in school.

The state of my sewing room; it must look like a guest room again by Saturday .
 This is a picture of the messenger bags I'm making for the girls for Christmas. I'm making one for the neighbor's daughter, too. I made them from men's cargo pants. This particular one is for Sarah, since blue is her favorite color.
I am considering changing my writing curriculum to Classical Writing. Granny has been recommending it for many months and I can see the kids getting really bored with the writing we are doing. I wish there was a way I could try it out on the kids to see how they like it. It seems to combine grammar and writing and includes a lot of creative stuff which the girls really would enjoy. They spend most of their free time reading, playing outside or drawing and this curriculum includes a lot of that…as far as I can tell.

I wish you could see the laughs and smiles and giggles I get from Isaac. Are all boys this sweet-tempered? My mom says my brother was the type of baby to make a mother never want any more kids. I think he had a colic problem. But Isaac, even with a bit of a sour stomach sometimes is the sweetest baby I ever did see. Always happy and never cries without a purpose. What a blessing he is to me after such a hard and miserable pregnancy. He is definitely worth every second of moaning and groaning I did about what a sorry state I was in.
I have a better picture of his sunny disposition but Blogger keeps distorting the picture so I'll have to post it later. Look at his lovely chubby cheeks!!!
Alright, stop distracting me. I have to go sew.

 Isn't Lily cute? She's got that mischievous look in her eye.

2 comments:

Grandma said...

Great picture of Isaac and Lily (with the Lily etched there on the sidewalk or dirt or whatever that is!)

Johanna said...

Thursday's Thoughts is a *perfect* title! Love it!

Your family photo turned out well, too. It must be next to impossible to get a good picture with all of those people!

It's a good thing you weren't sewing when I came to visit...I wouldn't have had anywhere to sleep! :)

As for changing curriculum in your writing - I am no longer afraid to deviate mid-year. Sometimes it is a good choice. You still have the old curriculum, so if the new one is a bust, you have a safety net. I recently ordered some math workbooks for Ethan, too. It's a long, messed up story as to why, but the condensed version is that math comes naturally to Ethan and is hard for Aaron. Even though Aaron is doing an advanced curriculum and is right on target, he has a complex about the fact that Ethan is "good" at math and he "is not." We FINALLY had some breakthroughs with Aaron in the past 2 months and he is moving forward well and not crying during math! But, Ethan is catching up to him curriculum wise. Yes, my K5er is catching up to my 2nd grader... Rather than allow that to happen and cause another huge stall with Aaron, I am keeping Ethan from moving forward more than a lesson a day and supplementing with another curriculum so he can move forward without ever "catching up" to Aaron. That is the beauty of homeschool. I can tailor my curriculum choices to my family's needs.