Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Time Flies When You're Up All Night

It has been three weeks since Andrew entered the world. It is hard to believe that. It seems like much longer and much shorter all at the same time! Now that Thanksgiving is over and the family has all gone back home, I thought I'd take a minute to post some new pictures and update you on life with my three sons!

Thanksgiving was good, but it seemed long. We had family in town, and although none of them actually stayed at our house, it made the days very busy. My mom's mom came for a week, my brother and his family for a few days, and Jerry's parents for 4 days. It was really good to see them all, but I would have enjoyed the visits more if I hadn't just had a baby! I felt bad with Jerry's parents because they were here all day each day, but each chance I got, I went to bed! I don't really feel like I saw them too much. I dropped a baby into one of their arms, asked them to help put up the Christmas tree, and then went to bed. What an excellent hostess am I!

Andrew was declared healthy at his two week check-up! He weighed 7 lb. 14 oz. at two weeks, so he had regained to his birth weight plus four more ounces! He still cries - a lot! More than my other boys did at this age. But he is learning to soothe himself. I cannot hold him all day long, nor should I - so I put him in his crib when it is time to sleep, and he is starting to get the hang of going to sleep without anyone to rock him. I am actually really surprised with how well he does with that. My second boy would scream for the entire hour and a half that he should have slept unless I nursed him to sleep. Not Andrew! He cries off and on for about 10-15 minutes and then drifts off to sleep.

I am starting to feel the need to move more. I broke out the book Expecting Fitness and opened it to the postpartum section so that I could start to work my body back into shape. I've gotten the first four exercises listed there done several times, but can never seem to get beyond those four before someone needs me! I am so impatient when it comes to how my body looks after having a baby. You would think that would cause me to eat less in order to avoid getting to this place to begin with, but no. I gained the same with all three and agonized about the results each time as well. I know for sure I cannot diet for another 5 weeks or so, otherwise my milk supply tanks. (I learned that lesson the hard way before...) But I can move. I am recovering very well physically, so it is time to make exercise a priority. It is supposed to be a bit warmer toward the end of the week, so maybe Andrew and I will go for a few walks!

This weekend, I will experience for a short time being a single mom of one. Jerry is off to Indianapolis for another one of his scheduled "residency" trips for grad school, and he is taking the boys with him! Well, they aren't staying with him! Jerry's parents live only a couple hours from Indy, so they are meeting Jerry at the airport and taking the boys to their house while Jerry is in school, then Jerry is going to their house for another day after his classes are over. I am excited that I will truly be able to sleep any time Andrew sleeps, but also a bit apprehensive about not having another pair of arms to help with him during his fussier times. I would like to get Christmas shopping done while they are gone, too. We'll see how much actually gets done...

Speaking of grad school, Jerry's first term is over! One down, three to go. He did very well, too. He had the top grade or close to it in each of his classes. I'm so proud of him!

It's starting to look like Christmas at our house! I love this time of year. I have to remember to slow down and enjoy it before it is over, though!

7 comments:

Joanna said...

Yeah! Excellent pictures. He's so cute!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update! Great pictures! I'm so excited for you that you get to be alone with Andrew for a little while. I bet you could really use the rest. And how fun for the boys to be able to spend some quality time with their grandparents.

Rosales Ramblings said...

So good to see more pictures!! If you are headed this way for Christmas Shopping, please drop Andrew off and we'll watch him. Paul should be working this weekend and the kids would think it so fun to have a baby in the house! I'm serious about my offer!!! Then I could meet him, which I haven't been able to do yet. We were sick last week so I stayed far away but we are healthy now!!

Anonymous said...

Awww they are adorable!!!!

I think you look fantastic for just having a baby :) I know we as women never feel that way though :-p

I don't think you should feel guilty for resting AT ALL. Rest when you can, and let the guilt go bye bye ;)

This doesn't last long, just remember that ;)

This is my favorite poem:
Song for a fifth child

Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing and butter the bread,
Sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

Johanna said...

Shannon, I'll be sure to stop by if I am out in your neck of the woods. I most likely will be on either Friday or Saturday. I feel like it's been forever since I saw you, but truth be told, you were over just days before Andrew was born, weren't you?

Lawanda, I love that poem. It is so true - babies certainly don't keep. I know that it won't be long before I realize that Andrew is hardly a baby anymore. And since he is likely my last newborn (which right now sounds nice...), I also know there will come a day when I pine for the smell of a newborn to sniff and the feel of a newborn snuggling and sleeping on my chest. Those are sweet times, for sure.

Anonymous said...

Yay for more photos! Glad you're in exercising condition. I worked out up until the day before I went into labor, but my *ahem* tearing made it so I wasn't cleared to really exercise until 7 weeks post-birth. I felt disgusting. Plus I was maid of honor in a wedding at that time! Hope your time while Daddy's away is great bonding time for you and Andrew.

TulipGirl said...

Sweet pics!