Thursday, July 2, 2009

WILDlife...

The lizards ate all my monarch caterpillars. Okay, so they weren't exactly mine, but still...I was going to watch them grow up and call them mine...because I am human and I have dominion. I am trying to not be mad at the lizards because the lizards also eat these ugly little bugs in my lawn and I do appreciate that very much.


We went to Home Depot and got another milkweed. There were already two caterpillars on the plant along with at least a dozen eggs. We now have seven caterpillars on the milkweed, which we are keeping in the house so the lizards won't eat them. We learned that dill weed and parsley attract swallowtails so I want to plant some of those.
Did I tell you that our fish died recently? Like two weeks ago. He was a Chinese algae eater. I named him Spotless since when we first put him in our tank he made it spotless in a matter of hours. He was three years old. When we talk about getting another pet my answer is always "NO". I do think it's funny though, that the best I can do for a pet is a caterpillar.

And check out this photo of a weird caterpillar we saw at Lettuce Lake Park the other day. Very odd. I got some video of him crawling and this is a screen capture from that video.
I know my life is so stimulating that you wish you were me. Don't be hatin'; not everyone can have such an exciting life.

3 comments:

Elspeth said...

I have come to believe that an exciting life is not at all what it's cracked up to be. You don't appreciate the little things when there's too much "noise."

Your peaceful life (I'd call mine boring) lookd great.

Unknown said...

That is the coolest caterpillar! I wonder what kind of butterfly he'll turn out to be...

Johanna said...

That is quite a wild caterpillar! But I have to say that I am with you on pets. When our beloved Thermos passes, I do not wish to replace her at all. Jerry wants a dog...ugh. Fortunately for me, we discovered today that Aaron is moderately allergic to dogs. How sad for Jerry. Bwahahaha...