Friday, November 27, 2009

Two Dishes

One word:  Tasty.  Or maybe two: yummy, tasty.  Okay, three words: surprisingly yummy, tasty.  Wait let me adjust that a bit: shockingly yummy, tasty.  Oh, four words: shockingly tasty and yummy.  There, I think that does it.  We will have this again.  I'll probably slice the sprouts into three instead of just half so Del will like them better, but these are darned good.

I don't know if I have lived in the dark ages or what but all these years I've just bought cans of the canned cranberry sauce.  I always buy the jellied stuff for the girls and the...other kind for Del.  So anyway, well last year, I forget why, but I was inspired to make my own.  Last year I made Spiced Cranberry Sauce with Red Zinfandel.  It was a hit.  Very good but rich...maybe a little too rich.  This year, Del and I discovered a port wine and have really grown fond of it, to the point where we're not even buying any other wine.  So when I found this recipe for Tangerine and Port Cranberry Sauce I thought this was the stuff for us.  And I was right.  It wasn't too overpowering or rich.  The flavor of the port is delicious.  Even my mom liked it quite a bit and she can't stand any kind of wine.  She had two helpings to go with her Thanksgiving dinner.  I highly recommend it.  It's the best cranberry sauce that has ever entered this house!

2 comments:

Johanna said...

I am SOOO glad you liked the sprouts! I think they are so yummy, so I like hearing that I have inspired others to add them to their menu, too!

As for the cranberry sauce, can I go on the record stating that I have no clue what the big deal about cranberries is? I don't really like them. I eat a bit of cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving becuase it seems like the right thing to do, but I have to force myself each year and then I gladly forget about them until the next year. This year, my friend who came for dinner brought a simple sauce made with only cranberries, water, and maple syrup. I liked it better than any other sauce I've tried, but still? I won't think about it again until next Thanksgiving. Your recipe does look interesting, though. We couldn't try it due to being allergic to the wine and the tangerine parts, but other than that...

Anonymous said...

Oh yummy. Both pictures look delicious!