Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Slight Detour

Hurricane Ike has caused a slight detour in our plans. My brother, although fine, is still without power. There is really no good indication as to when the power will be back on, but some of the estimates that are coming out do not look good for getting power restored any time in September. Because of the lack of power and the fact that many gas stations between Dallas and Houston are out of gas, I am still home and not planning to leave for Houston any time soon! My boys are very disappointed, but thankfully have stopped asking several times a day if we are leaving soon! Right now my plan is to send the last document that we just received last Saturday to Austin for certification today. It should be back in 1 1/2-2 weeks. By that time, I am hoping that it will be clear whether travel to Houston is possible yet or not. If it is, and at almost 34 weeks pregnant I am able to make the trip, we will go to Houston then. Otherwise, I now have the name of a courier that our adoption agency recommends and I will send our whole dossier to the courier and they will take it to the consulate for us. This is still more reliable than just mailing it directly to the consulate.

Amazingly, I have God's peace about this whole situation. I have not felt the worry and panic that has gripped me each time something seemed to be going the wrong way with our adoption up to this point. I have been able to remember all the miracles God has already worked and rest in these. I know he is in control! My prayer now is that the paperwork will come back from Austin quickly and that when it does, it will be clear whether I should go to Houston myself or use a courier. Please pray with me on this!

Thank you for praying for my brother during the Hurricane. They are all doing well, have cleaned up the damage in their yard, and my brother is back at work as his company has power. They still have no power in their home, but they have gas and water so they have stayed there. If the power stays out for too long, they are still thinking they may come up here for a while, but at this point, if they've made it without the power this long, why make the trip? I am guessing that this won't be a storm they soon forget!

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Wow! It's amazing how things work out when it's in Gods plans.

Johanna said...

You know, I really questioned whether sending the document to the Secretary Of State by mail was the right call since it will take about 2 weeks and the reports were that the consulate was resuming regular business today, but God has confirmed that this was his plan! I am checking the courier's web site daily to get up-to-date information on the consulate and today the consulate lost power again even though they had it for a few days already, so they didn't take any new documents like they were planning to afterall. God knew, and this saved me a long car ride and lots of gas and lots of listening to the boys complaining in the car all day long!