Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Flylady Has Flown

Well, I hate to admit it, but I think I am going to unsubscribe to my Flylady group. I was so gung-ho about this in the beginning, but I think now I have deleted each and every one of the 600 e-mails she has sent me this last month without even reading one word of any of them first. What happened? For me, I found that I can create hot spots much faster than 15 minutes of work can put them out. I have to do in-depth cleaning in one chunk, or it will never get finished. I am a starter, not a finisher. So if I am constantly told, "You only have to do 15 minutes, then stop!" I think, "Great! I don't have to finish anything! Woo-hoo!" It just doesn't work for me.

I have had some take-aways, though. I do a load of laundry every day. Some days I may skip if we are out the whole day, but then the next day I do two. This has really helped me not get overwhelmed by having six loads to do at once. I also now clean the dishes lots more often. I don't let them pile up for days on end, which I am ashamed to admit I used to do. I don't shine my sink every day, but I do make sure the porcelain doesn't get all scratched up and the faucet is dried off after I use it - oh, and I put away my drainboard between washings. That is something Jerry really loves! He hated having the drainboard constantly on the counter top. Other than that, I still do the majority of my housecleaning on Thursdays - because on Thursday night, I have my church small group meeting in my home. It does make for a bit of chaos on Thursdays, but chaos makes me finish what I start. So, for now, I have learned to embrace the chaos.

How about you? Is you sink still shiny?

4 comments:

Joanna said...

You sucker! I stopped those silly emails in FEBRUARY!!!! I got so tired of seeing the same ones day in and day out and "come to this conference" or some such nonsense. I really thought it would be more like "today, clean your bathroom. in the bathroom clean the toilet, clean the tub, clean the sink, wash the floor." You know? Specific instructions. 15 minutes of cleaning BEHIND my toilet ONCE A MONTH does not a house make clean.

I, also, do the dishes way more often than I was want to. I almost never have dishes to do in the morning and before every morning I had dishes to do, but before I could do the dishes I had to unload the dishwasher and so then I'd put it off because I loathe unloading the dishwasher. I try to wipe down the sink every night so that it's at least not got water spots on it in the morning. I do one load of launddry every day.

It seems like we got the same things out of it. Now if I could just get some visitors on a regular basis, maybe I'd clean the rest of the house on a schedule. For now though, I'm working on blog discipline. One thing at a time.

Joanna said...

Stacey has an interesting post on this topic on her blog.

Elspeth said...

No, my sink isn't shiny! And like you I unsubscribed because I git tired of deleting the 1000's of emails sent to my "commercial email box". I only check that box about once a week so can you even imagine what my inbox looked like?

There were a few good tips that I have taken to heart. I am much more conscious of my "hot spots", and am careful not to let those areas get out of hand.

On the other hand, there is no way that I'm wearing sneakers in my house all day. I appreciate the fact that what we do is as much of a job as anyone else, but there is an advantage to working at home and one is that you can go bare-footed if you wish!

This was a funny post, I relate to it so much!

Joanna said...

HA!!