Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Funny, in a Horrifying, Absolutely NOT Funny Sort of Way

So yesterday was the day of vomit in our house. By the way, if you are reading this and are squeamish or feeling nauseated - you might want to just stop here. Fair warning! Okay, so yesterday morning, Aaron woke up early saying that his stomach hurt. I asked him where, and it was sort of low so I told him he probably needed to go potty and he should try. He did, but to no avail, so I asked him if he felt like he needed to throw up. He assured me that he did not, so I sent him back to bed and told him that he should try to go back to sleep. I got back in bed and snuggled down for a bit more sleep myself before Jerry got home from the gym. Minutes later I heard a terrified scream coming from the boy's room. I had to rouse myself out of bed and arrived in their room just in time to see a cascading waterfall of vomit from the top bunk all out of Aaron's mouth! It got on his bed, on Ethan's bed (with Ethan of course sleeping blissfully in it!), and all over the floor. While he is producing Niagara Falls, Aaron is screaming on the top of his lungs! I was thinking that the last thing we needed was for Ethan to awake, and confused in those first few moments of wakefulness, climb out of bed into the oncoming spew. So I tried to hold back my own contribution to the situation and go wide around the mess to climb up to the top bunk to comfort Aaron and get him to stop screaming! He did calm down eventually, and somehow Ethan slept through it all. I got Aaron changed, washed, and sitting with a bowl in a chair and decided that I had to do something in their room because Ethan could not currently get out of bed without rolling over into his brother's generous offering. I got large towels to cover it up, but the smell only made me sick too. Finally I was able to hold my breath long enough to at least cover the mess, but somehow Ethan still managed to push aside the towel on his bed before getting out of bed. I won't go into the details of what happened as a result of that...

Meanwhile, I called Jerry's cell, which of course he left in the car - twice. He did call back when he got in the car, and I lovingly told him that he had a huge mess to clean up when he got home! I had tried and only succeeded in adding to it, so he was on his own. He came in the house with bright green surgical gloves on that he uses when he is staining in the garage - prepared to go into battle! How I wish I had taken a picture of him doing this! He looked so funny with full protection to face the mess! He managed to strip the beds, clean the beds, and clean the carpet. He carried out the soiled linens as far from his body as possible to wash, and then looked at me very confused and had to ask how to start the washer! Wow, I've really gone wrong somewhere! While he was doing all of this, Aaron is still throwing up. Fortunately he embraced the "throw up into the bowl" method, but I still contributed when I had to empty the bowl. So Jerry worked from home yesterday morning. Thank goodness for flexible jobs in times of vomit crisis! Of course, both my parents and Jerry found this story absolutely hilarious - hardly able to contain their laughter. Aaron and I see it a bit differently. Thankfully, this morning has been vomit free so far!

4 comments:

Joanna said...

Wow. Not that is quite a morning. I really am trying very hard to hold back the laughter. I know if it had been me I would not be laughing, so you just let me know when it's funny and I'm going to join in. I can see it all! What a mess! I love the "adding" to the mess part. Oh my gosh, your poor pregnant stomach.

Joanna said...

now, not not.

Anonymous said...

I did laugh. Sorry. ;)

We had a lovely vomiting WEEK recently, so I feel your pain. Kudos to your dh for helping out like a trooper!!!

Johanna said...

Well, at least ours didn't last a week. It is pretty much done now. I guess you can laugh since you have had more throw up than me... And yes, my husband was WONDERFUL with cleaning up!